This section last modified 10/30/2020
Contents Below in This Section
|C1. The Problem (Verizon is deleting Yahoo groups)|
|C2. The New Group|
|C3. Viewing Messages|
|C4. How To SUBSCRIBE|
|C5. How To Unsubscribe|
|C6. For Announcers Only|
ABOUT this email group: This PUBLIC email group allows NC PA dance groups and instructors to announce classes & workshops, announce dances, send photos, or other dance news.
>> This also includes the MahoneyNet weekly digest.
>> You can “subscribe” yourself (Sect. C4 below) or “unsubscribe” yourself (Sect. C5 below) anytime you wish, or you just “browse” messages without joining.
|C1. The Problem:|
- On Monday Oct. 12, 2020, Verizon informed us that it will complete its trashing of all Yahoo groups — by totally DELETING them all on Dec. 15, 2020.
- If anyone wants to send any messages on the old Yahoo group, make sure you do so BEFORE Dec. 15.
C2. The New Group
We have created a new PUBLIC group at https://groups.io/g/billtowndance to replace the Yahoo group.
- The groups .io works very similar to the Yahoo groups.
- The same guy that designed Yahoo groups before Yahoo bought them, Mark Fletcher, designed groups.io
C3. Viewing Messages
- “Messages” can be viewed using this link: https://groups.io/g/billtowndance/topics .
- Note that there is also a “Messages” link on the upper left corner of the Group’s home page.
- You do NOT need to be a member of the group to READ the announcements (messages).
- ANYONE can browse these announcements — even WEEKS after they were sent.
C4. To SUBSCRIBE
How To SUBSCRIBE To The [BilltownDance] Group:
If you “subscribe” to this group, you will receive the announcements in your EMAIL, as soon as the Announcer sends the messages.
- Send a blank email (no subject or body is necessary) to
- This initiates your subscription (with the Groups.io automated software).
Warning: You’re NOT subscribed yet.
You MUST complete Step 2.
- Groups.io will send you a “request for confirmation” email.
- You should receive it almost immediately after doing Step 1.
- Find the “request for confirmation” email in your inbox
- The sender will be Groups.io
- The subject will be “Confirm Your Groups.io Subscription“.
- Then just hit the REPLY button. This CONFIRMS your request to join the group.
What Happens Next:
- Groups.io automated software will automatically subscribe the address from which it receives the blank email.
- You will receive a confirmation message., with the subject “Welcome to email@example.com“.
Note: Some addresses may not be “subscribe-able”:
- There are a few addresses that that they may NOT allow you to subscribe: “admin@..”, “info@..”, “sales@..”, “support..@”, and “webmaster@..
Optional MAIL RULE:
We recommend you set up a “mail rule” in your email app — to have all messages containing [BilltownDance] in the subject line, automatically put into a separate mailbox named “[BilltownDance]”.
C5. To Unsubscribe
You can easily “unsubscribe” (leave) this group any time you wish.
- Step 1: Send a blank email (no subject or body is necessary) to
- This initiates your un-subscription.
- Step 2: You’ll get a message titled “”Confirm Your Groups.io Unsubscription“. Just reply to that message to confirm you want to leave.
C6. For Announcers Only
To send a message to the group, address it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You first need to “Join” the group as a member — so perform Step 1 and Step 2 above to join, if you’re not already a member.
- To send a message, you first need to get “posting privileges” for your email address.
To get “posting privileges”, please contact the volunteer moderator, James Ingram. He will give your address ‘posting privileges’.
- Once you have “posting privileges”, the Groups.io system will ‘accept’ your message and then put it on a web page, plus distribute it to any ‘subscribers’ to the group.
- ((It will automatically reject messages from others who do not have the ‘posting privileges’; this is an attempt to keep Spammers from sending Spam messages.))
Common Announcer Errors:
- Announcers try to send from a DIFFERENT address, then the address for which they have Posting Privileges — and their message “bounces”.
- Posting Privileges will work only for the ONE address for which privileges were given.